JRCPPF Director and Theodore A. Wells '29 Professor of Economics and Public Affairs
Atif Mian's work studies the connections between finance and the macroeconomy. His latest book, House of Debt (co-authored with Amir Sufi) builds upon powerful new data to describe how debt precipitated the Great Recession, why debt continues to threaten the global economy, and the policy implications of fixing the financial system. House of Debt has received critical claim from The New York Times, Financial Times, The Wall Street Journal,The Economist, and The Atlantic, among many others.
He holds a bachelors degree in mathematics and computer science, and a Ph.D. in economics, both from MIT. Prior to joining Princeton in 2012, he taught at the University of California, Berkeley and the University of Chicago Booth School of Business.
His research has appeared in many top academic journals, including the American Economic Review, Econometrica, Quarterly Journal of Economics, Journal of Finance, Review of Financial Studies and Journal of Financial Economics.
Select Recent Publications (Partial List)
- Household Debt and Business Cycles Worldwide (with Amir Sufi and Emil Verner)
Quarterly Journal of Economics, Volume 132, Issue 4, 2017.
- Fraudulent Income Overstatement on Mortgage Applications during the Credit Expansion of 2002 to 2005 (with Amir Sufi) Review of Financial Studies, Volume 30, Issue 6, 2017.
- Who Bears the Cost of Recessions? The Role of House Prices and Household Data (with Amir Sufi)
Handbook of Macroeconomics, Volume 2, 2016.
- Foreclosures, House Prices, and the Real Economy (with Amir Sufi and Francesco Trebbi)
Journal of Finance, December, 2015 (70:6).
- What Explains the 2007-2009 Drop in Employment? (with Amir Sufi)
Econometrica, Vol. 82, No. 6, November, 2014 (2197-2223).
- Resolving Debt Overhang: Political Constraints in the Aftermath of Financial Crises (with Amir Sufi and Francesco Trebbi) American Economic Journal: Macroeconomics, Vol. 6 No. 2, April, 2014.
- The Political Economy of the Subprime Mortgage Credit Expansion (with Amir Sufi and Francesco Trebbi) Quarterly Journal of Political Science, 2013, (8:373-408).
For more information about Mian and his work, please visit scholar.princeton.edu/atif.